This week (May 29th) the topic is:
Top Ten Books Written In The Past 10 Years That I Hope People Are Still Reading In 30 Years
This sort of a hard one for me because I don't think I read books that are exactly school curriculum types, but these are the ones that I thought were strong enough to stand the test of time:
1. The Fault in Our Stars By: John Green- A really important book that should not be forgotten about!!
2. Please Ignore Vera Dietz By: A.S. King
3. Escape By: Carolyn Jessop- A woman's story of escaping the FLDS and saving her children. I don't think the world will ever be rid of charismatic leaders that take advantage of people who want to believe... definitely something that should be read through different generations.
4. Confessions of a Shopaholic By: Sophie Kinsella- I wanted to put something funny on the list, and this is hilarious!
5. Harry Potter Series By: J.K. Rowling- Da!
6. The Lovely Bones By: Alice Seabold- It's written in the past anyway so I don't think it will have a problem aging. And it's an awesome book!
7. The Time Traveler's Wife By: Audrey Neffenegger- Love this book! Could definitely stand as time passes.
8. No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind the Murders at Columbine High School By: Brooks Brown, Rob Merrit or Columbine By: Dave Cullen- Both books were good just taken from different perspectives. I hope one of them is being read in 30 years because it's pretty dangerous to forget an event like this.
9. Scar Tissue By: Anthony Kiedis or Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back By: Claire and Mia Fontaine- Both really good books about substance abuse.
10. These are a few books older than 10 years that should still be read 30 years from now: Speak, You Don't Know Me, Helter Skelter
Kind of a weird mix I know... But this one was HARD!! So that's mine, what's yours??
P.S.- I've been reading some other lists, and I have to say I really don't think the distopian fad is going to last. There are SO many that they all just seem the same to me... (and the ones I have read are pretty much crap). Look at the vampire fad... sorry but no Twilight is not lasting 30 yrs.