Top Ten Book Cover Trends I Like/Dislike
Ok so here's 8 :)
Trends I Like
- I don't know why I like it, but I just think it looks cool.
- I love simplicity. I think this might be my favorite "trend". Less can be so much more sometimes. I really love that Dreamland redesign cover. It's SO simple and pretty. And Twenty Boy Summer will always be one of my favs.
- Cool fonts are always eye-catching for me. Whether it be swirly fun stuff, unique fonts, or plain old everyday fonts in fun colors... I love to look at fonts. Everything Leads to You!! How cool is that font?? And the PLL books all have awesome swirly scripty fonts, which I love.
- I know this one is way played out. But I like looking at pretty clothes!! It doesn't have to be a dress... any cute outfit will make me look twice. I love the tights on the girl from And We Stay. And the skirt on the girl from the paperback of Smart Girls is SO cute!!
Trends I Dislike
- I know I've told you about these before, but ICK!! So sick of this!!
2. Dystopian Government Symbols
- How many dystopians have to come out with circular government symbols on the covers?? I get it, you want to be like The Hunger Games, but I'm freaking bored!!!
3. The White "Handwritten" Font
- So So SO over this trend. First of all, as far as fonts go, it's ugly. Second, it looks unprofessional. And last, it makes me think all those covers look the same even though they don't.
4. The WTF Redesigns
- Sometimes I really HATE when they redesign the cover for paperback or rerelease. If the book is super well-known for it's cover, WHY ARE YOU CHANGING IT?? Maybe I just don't like change. But seriously Hysteria is PERFECT in the original. I would not even know that was the same book looking at that paperback. And Out of the Easy?? What the heck is that monstrosity that they changed it to?? I just feel like when a book becomes synonymous with a certain cover, don't mess with it. And if you do, it better be damn good and not these pitiful redesign choices!
So those are my favorite and nonfavorite cover trends. I am obsessed with looking at book covers, so this topic was really fun for me. What trends are you loving and what ones are you over??