Inspired by THIS post at Paperfury.com, I decided I'm going to start sharing things in the book blogging community. Maybe it'll be some awesome post or new feature a blogger has put together, maybe it'll be a blog that I want to share with you all. All I know is I want this community to be a better, nicer, happier, more helpful place, and I'm going to do my part to spread the LOVE.
Usually when I do these Share the Love posts, I share 5 blogs (and I'm still going to do that in the future)... today I decided to do something a little different. In the spirit of spreading the love, I've been thinking about what else I can do besides one post every so often that, let's be honest, is only going to reach a limited amount of people.
So I started thinking about my blog viewing and social media habits and how I could help in that way. And what I found are super easy things I could do to make a small difference. The thing is though, if we all do them, it will make a BIG difference. It's weird because for the last 4 years I gave such little thought to doing stuff like this, but because of the Paperfury post, I realized if I could do things like the list below (which take basically zero time), and if it was going to help in some small way, I was going to do it.
So these are the goals I've set for myself to do whenever I visit these sites (and really now it's just become habit):
- When I'm on Twitter, I retweet links of other bloggers (and authors and publishers). I'm not constantly on Twitter, but when I am, I've made it my goal to retweet at least two links before I move on.
- If you put all of our Twitter followers together, that's a hell of a big reach. So why not help each other out?? I see a lot of people tweeting their links to their blog posts, but rarely do I see those links getting retweets. So why not make it a goal to retweet other people's links?
- The more likes you have on a review, the more visible it will be on the book's main page. So when I go on Goodreads-- before I update my reading status or look up the book I'm thinking of-- I try to like a few of the reviews that show up on my homepage.
- Pinning- This takes a tad longer, and I rarely remember to do it, but I'm trying to do better. So, if I'm on my computer reading an interesting post, I try to remember to Pin it on Pinterest.
- Liking Bookstagram pics. Every time I post a picture, I try to go and like at least 10 pictures under the Bookstagram or Booknerd or some other bookish tag. That's not including liking people I follow Instagram pics. I also try to ReGram if someone is doing something like creating a challenge that needs participants... even if I'm not going to participate, it can't hurt to get the word out.
- Visiting back people that visit me. This is a thing that I've tried to do since I started blogging. There have been times I haven't been AS good at doing this, but I solidly try to do it now.
- I also do things like: If I put one of my posts on Saturday Situation or some other link-up, I try to visit and comment on at least 5 blogs listed there. I just think that's courteous.
- I've also made it my goal to find at least 1 new blog a week to follow. Since there's been some turnover on my blogroll, I thought it would be nice to update and see what some of the newbies are up to.
I'm in no way saying I'm a Saint, or I'm better than anybody, or that I want a pat on the back because I do these things. I'm just sharing this in hopes that other people will Pay it Forward. If we can all try to do our small part, just think of how much bigger and better we can make this little community!! There's so much negativity on the Internet anymore, let's help each other out instead of putting each other down.
Happy Memorial Day Weekend to my U.S. peeps :)