A while ago I wrote a post about my favorite underrated 80's movies, and I followed it up with a post on my favorite underrated 90's movies. I love being nostalgic so much that I decided to now share with you my favorite movies from the 2000's decade (mostly the early part of it).
So here you have it--- My favorite movies from the years where low-rise flared jeans, body glitter, tube tops, trucker hats, velour tracksuits, and Abercrombie & Fitch were the bomb.
Movies from the 2000's that you just gotta see:
- Starring: Devon Sawa, Jaime King, Jason Segel
- Cool Factor: Dude from Pete & Pete is on it, plus the scariest hair-doll I've ever seen
- Starring: Jerry O'Connell, Shannon Elizabeth
- Cool Factor: Some really gross humor, Jerry O'Connell in his prime
- Starring: Shane West, James Franko
- Cool Factor: It's GIA from Full House!! Plus, Aaron Paul plays a weirdo/stoner dude.
- Starring: Breckin Meyer, Seann William Scott, Amy Smart
- Cool Factor: Oh jeez there are SO many!!! Tom Green (remember him??) at the peak of his weirdness (and probably the only truly funny part he ever played), remember geeky DJ Qualls?? This is where he got his start. "It's not cheating if you're in a different area code" (PS-- this is coming to Netflix in September!! So if you haven't seen it, be on the lookout!!)
Out Cold- I might be the only person who knows about this movie, but OMG LOVED!!! It's about an indie ski resort that's about to get bought by a big corporation... this does not go over well with the kooky staff.
- Starring: Jason London, Zach Galifianakis
- Cool Factor: Many LOL moments, "Island in the Sun" by Weezer, pants-less skiing is a thing that happens often.
- Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Tara Reid, Kal Penn
- Cool Factor: Ryan freaking Reynolds. "Write that down", the nastiest dog semen scene in cinematic history, Aaron Paul playing a random wasted guy again, so many quotable lines.
- Starring: Scott Mechlowciz, Michelle Trachtenberg
- Cool Factor: The Worst Twins in the history of twins, "Scotty Doesn't Know", Absinthe scene.
- Starring: Luke Wilson, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn
- Cool Factor: What's not cool about this movie?? "You're my boy Blue", Will Ferrell's wedding song, Jeremy Piven playing the most annoying dean ever (Cheeeeese!), Earmuffs, & Stifler makes an appearance.
Juno- A super mature 16-year-old gets pregnant by her best friend and decides to give the baby up for adoption.
- Starring: Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner
- Cool Factor: Breakout roles for both Ellen Page and Michael Cera, awesome soundtrack, track boys in insanely short shorts.
- Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Ryan Reynolds
- Cool Factor: Filmed in Pittsburgh at KENNYWOOD (the coolest old-school amusement park around), a 1980's setting!!
- Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Zooey Deschanel, Chloe Grace Moretz
- Cool Factor: Any movie with JGL is cool in my book (except Don Jon, BLAH!!), I love that it's the GIRL who can't commit, a song and dance sequence.
- Starring: James Van Der Beek, Jessica Biel, Kate Bosworth
- Cool Factor: Dawson playing a very UN-Dawson-like character (and Jessica Biel being very UN-Mary-like as well), zero likable characters, Sex, Drugs, & College Parties :)
Frequency- This is one of my all-time favs. A HAM radio connects a father and son across 30 years in NY.
- Starring: Jim Caviezel, Dennis Quaid
- Cool Factor: A serial killer murder/mystery, BASEBALL, Dennis Quaid isn't completely terrible as an actor
- Starring: Ryan Phillipe, Rachel Leigh Cook, Claire Forlani
- Cool Factor: Computer geeks!! The end of the Ryan Phillipe, Rachel Leigh Cook era :(
- Starring: Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale
- Cool Factor: Magic!! Tesla!! A twist that I didn't even come close to guessing.
- Starring: Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson
- Cool Factor: Another M. Night Shyamalan masterpiece. Beautiful cinematography. Comic books.
Valentine- A horror/thriller about a killer exacting revenge on his high school tormentors.
- Starring: Denise Richards, David Boreanaz, Katherine Heigl
- Cool Factor: We all need a little cheesy slasher film in our lives, and this was one of my favorites.
- Starring: Lori Heuring, Susan Ward
- Cool Factor: Rufus Humfrey (from Gossip Girl) is the crush-worthy guy.
- Starring: James Marsden, Lena Headey, Norman Reedus
- Cool Factor: Ummm-- Joshua Jackson!!!
- Starring: Erika Christensen, Jesse Bradford
- Cool Factor: I stand by my assertion that Erika Christensen plays the scariest/creepiest stalker.
Butterfly Effect- An interesting time-bending movie about a boy who has suffered from blackouts for most of his life and finds when he reads a childhood journal he can go back and change past events.
- Starring: Ashton Kutcher, Amy Smart
- Cool Factor: Flashback 80's scenes & Ashton Kutcher is in an actual serious movie!
- Starring: Richard Gere, David Eisenberg, Laura Linney
- Cool Factor: This movie was filmed in Pittsburgh and Kittanning, PA and a few of my college friends were extras.
- Starring: Michelle Pfeiffer, Harrison Ford
- Cool Factor: Ouija board!!
- Starring: Halle Berry, Robert Downey Jr., Penelope Cruz
- Cool Factor: LOVE this psychological thriller... totally messed with my head!
- Starring: Shane West, Mandy Moore
- Cool Factor: It's a Nicholas Sparks book & a total sobfest. Poetry!! The movie was filmed in the same town as Dawson's Creek.
- Starring: Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michael Douglas, Benicio Del Toro
- Cool Factor: Erika Christensen does it again with the OMG character, and I'll never look at plastic toys the same way again.
- Starring: Natalie Portman, Ashley Judd
- Cool Factor: This one of my fave movies/books of EVER!! I've probably watched it 999 times. Also, anytime Sally Field shows up in a movie it's cooler.
- Starring: Kristen Stewart, Elizabeth Perkins, Michael Angarano
- Cool Factor: This is a movie made from one of my fave books EVER!! Reading Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson changed my life. Also, this was Kristen Stewart's breakout role.
My other (more obvious) favorites:
Duets, Bring It On, Wall-E, Gladiator, Almost Famous, Harry Potter movies, X-Men, Mean Girls, Meet the Parents, American Pie 2, The Hangover, Freaky Friday, Legally Blonde, 13 Going On 30, Erin Brockovich, American Psycho, I Am Sam
What are your favorite movies from the 2000's?? Do you like any of mine? Any I'm missing that I just gotta see?