I've been blogging for 5 years now and, well, I've been through a lot of different feelings about blogging. Today I'm sharing with you the 5 major phases I've been through (let's be honest, if I was counting mini-phases, there would probably be about 20 of these). I hope you don't judge me-- I'm a competitive person and can't help being envious sometimes!
Phases of Book Blogging
- I'm just going to make a blog so I can keep all my reviews together-- you never know, Goodreads might go away and then what?? I'll just keep them all here so I can read through them if I want to.
- Oh, so this is how it is. Other people read blogs??? Like, someone might actually read my reviews and thoughts and stuff?
- And look at those pretty blogs!! They get like 50 comments per post!! And they have all the newest books before they come out. How is that possible?? I need to get to work!
- Should I start a blog related Twitter? YES!! And what's this BOOKSTAGRAM thing?? I want to do that too!! And I should probably post once a day. That's what all the blog advice posts say!
ENVY, JUST STRAIGHT UP ENVY
- I'm doing all the things, and nothing is happening!! How come [insert popular blog name] just started their blog and BOOM, 3,000 followers? What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't anybody like me?
- Look at all those ARCs. How will I ever be able to get those?
- I can't keep up with [insert popular blog name here]. I can't post everyday, I can't post 5 x's a week even!! I'm sooooo tired.
- My eyes hurt from staring at Twitter. I shouldn't be on social media this much!
- You know what, I'm just going to do my thang, and do what I can when I can, and be happy. I'm NOT going to be competitive (even though I'm a super competitive person), I'm not going to be jealous-- I'm just going to blog and visit blogs and accept where I'm at in this crazy blogging world. I'm going to be HAPPY!
I feel like it's inevitable that you'll go through phases if you blog long enough. These were mine. But I truly feel like after 5 years, I've finally gotten to a place where I'm happy. I'm happy with the amount of interaction I have with book peeps. I'll always think I can do better, but I'm in this place where I think what I've got going on is acceptable for me. I'm never going to be one of those MEGA big successful blogs-- and I'm okay with that. I'm me :)
What phases of blogging have you been through?