Top Ten DIY Halloween Costumes
- So last year I put together some YA/Bookish Costumes (which if you're still looking for costume ideas you should totally check out), but this year I was coming up short on bookish ideas. Since I love putting outfits together, I decided to come up with some fun random costumes that aren't going to be hard to get gathered up (either with stuff you own, or stuff you can easily and cheaply find at a store). Hope you enjoy!!
- Because I'm obsessed with all things 90's, I absolutely HAD to have some 90's characters on this list. Daria is one of my favorite characters ever, and I can vividly remember watching her on MTV on school nights back in middle school. The volleyball scene in the opening credits--- that was SO me IRL.
- Putting this costume together is SUPER easy. Everything she wears is pretty basic-- and if you've ever cosplayed Harry Potter, I've just found you a 2nd use for those glasses!
- Ballerinas are so pretty!! And I love tulle, so this is a win-win for me. AND I have those flats, so I could totally do this costume in a second.... but I really want those heels!
- I SO want to be a unicorn for Halloween one of these years-- solely for the makeup!! Also, I've found a bunch of horn-making tutorials on YouTube and it looks really easy-- so if you can't find a horn, you could always make one!
- This is my take on a modern day Mary Poppins. I have jeans just like this AND I also have a ruffly button-down & Mary Janes, so I could totally roll this one out!! I need to find a carpet-bag though, because that MAKES the outfit.
- Another loosely-based costume. Also, if you can't find a polka dot dress, you could always buy a cheap white one and paint spots on it.
- This isn't any Britney-- this is ORIGINAL Britney!! Hit Me Baby One More Time Britney :) SO easy to do!
- When I was little, my mom showed me her Barbie (the only Barbie she owned as a kid) and I never forgot how cool she was. This is the FIRST Barbie ever made, so I think it would be an awesome costume-- especially if you live somewhere warm.
- Since reading is MY superpower, I decided to make a Superhero Reader-- meet Super Reader Girl!! Plus, it gives you an excuse to use all those bookish accessories you know you've been stalking Etsy for.
- Another 90's favorite of mine!! I was OBSESSED with Pee-Wee's Playhouse as a kid. No clue why-- maybe it was the "secret word"... or maybe it was his awesome bike on Pee-Wee's Big Adventure?? Anyway, here's a girly version of this 90's icon. PS-- this REALLY makes me want to dance to the song Tequila!!
- "In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines." Finally, a BOOKISH costume!! I loved Madeline as a kid and would love to dress up in a modern version of her!
I don't know what I'm doing for Halloween this year (besides taking my boy Trick or Treating)... but I really want to do something because I LOVE dressing up. If I do, I'll probably dress up as one of these 10 because I do own a lot of the stuff I featured... and they're so fun!!
If you were going to be one of these, which one would you pick?