Top Ten Tuesday is a really cool original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and The Bookish. Each week they post a new Top Ten List that bloggers join in on answering... and today (October 30th) I'm one of them :)
Top Ten Worst Heroines
I've decided to change it up this week and do worst heroines because I feel like I've already talked about the characters I've liked a lot.
1. Bella Swan of Twilight- OF COURSE Bella is number 1. There aren't enough words to say why she's a horrible heroine... ok I'll try, how about she acts like she'll DIE if she can't be around a guy she just met... SO ANNOYING. There are so many bad messages to young people in these books it's pathetic, I mean the suicide attempts??
2. Lily of Dash & Lily's Book of Dares- Annoying helpless child of a girl. Supposedly her behavior was because she was sheltered... I thought she was regressed and in need of Freud's psychoanalysis.
3. Bianca of The DUFF- A girl with a potty mouth sleeps with a creepy asshole just because she's bored/upset about family stuff.... oh yeah but don't worry they all live happily ever after. Such a bad message it made me want to scream.
4. Jill MacSweeny of How to Save a Life- I like this book, but even though Jill was going through some stuff, she didn't need to treat Dylan how she did.
5. Maggie Dempsey of How Not to Be Popular- Such a whiny character and so superficial. Definitely not someone to look up to.
6. Blair and Serena of Gossip Girl- I know it's not a series that is supposed to be taken seriously, but I'm just over the label-loving uber-rich bratty types.
7. Jessica Darling in Fourth Comings- ok I LOVE this series and JD, but in the 4th book Jessica needs punched. She hasn't grown as a character at all... she's still judging everyone and even eavesdropping so she can judge them some more. Plus she's insanely selfish and fills an entire journal to Marcus (which is supposed to be about their maybe engagement) about what she thinks about her NYC day-to-day life. (seriously book 1-3 I'm in love w/ her, book 4 she's horrid)
8. Sadie of Getting Over Garrett Delaney- A girl with a really annoying crush.
9. Emma of The Future of Us- LOVED this book too, but Emma was not very likable and she didn't deserve Josh.
10. Ariel from Disney's The Little Mermaid- ok technically it's cheating bc it's not the book version, but the movie Mermaid is pretty bad. She gives away her voice (because don't you know men like it better when we're quiet??) to get her man... a guy she's never even met. I really do love the music and animation in the movie, but the feminist in me is like what?
Don't forget to enter my Halloween Giveaway! There's still one more day :)