Top Ten Favorite Characters in Contemporary Standalones
1. Hazel Grace Lancaster: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- I mean how can you not love her?
2. Ruby Cooper: Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen- She's a complex character that goes through SO much. I really loved this book and I loved Ruby and how her relationship w/ her sister and brother-in-law grew.
3. Samantha Reed: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick- Ok so maybe I liked the whole Jase and Sam as a couple a little bit more than any one person, but Sam was a cool girl.
4. Regina Afton: Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers- I loved Regina even though she did some things in her popular life that were cruel.
5. Melinda Sordino: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson- I LOVE this book!! Melinda is amazing... she doesn't want to talk because she's depressed, but her voice ends up being so strong. Plus she draws trees!!
6. Connor Sykes: Impulse by Ellen Hopkins- A character that I was truly just sad for.
7. Kelsey Finkelstein: Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters by Meredith Zeitlin- My 9th grade BFF!!
8. Anna Reily: Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler- She went through SO MUCH and had to keep it all to herself... plus she didn't punch Frankie in the face and I give her props for that because that bitch would've ate sand if it was me.
9. Chris: Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo- I thought he was a little bit douchey until he became the narrator. Then I was all about him. He wasn't just the cocky know it all that he seemed on the outside, he actually had some self-loathing issues going on.
10. Annabel Greene: Just Listen by Sarah Dessen- There was so much going on around Annabel that she had to keep her own problems all bottled up. Plus I loved her & Owen!!!
So this week would've been easier if I read more books from narrower genres, but I'm excited to see what everyone else came up with!!