Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like MORE/LESS Than I Did
More(Books I Thought I'd Like More, But Didn't)
- Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfeld- This just sounded like a "me" book. Mysterious death and 2 girls that are eerily connected in some way. That's so me... but the writing in it was too adjective-y. And the plot was super thin.
- Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill- I had heard so many people raving about this book and it looked so cute!! And it was cute, but that's all it was for me... cute.
- The Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John- I was SO excited to read this book. The idea of a deaf girl managing a band intrigued me. But I just didn't connect with any of the characters.
- Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn- I thought I would LOVE this book. I love books set around Christmas-time and I love alternating chapters. I heard so many good things about it that I knew it was a good fit for me. It was ok, but pretty short... and Lily was SO annoying!!
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs- When I heard this was based off of creepy pictures that the author found, I was so interested. I just knew this book was going to be awesome. It was just ok.
- Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta- I actually read this before I ever heard anyone talk about it. But when I found it at the library, I thought it sounded like something I would really be into. And I just didn't get it. I thought it was really well written, but I just didn't connect.
- Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli- I had wanted to read this for a long long time before I actually did. It sounded so cool and it has this book-cultish following. I liked it ok, but was very middle of the road on it.
Less(Books I Didn't Know I Would Love)
- The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin- I thought it was going to be more supernatural and less contemporary.....I was pleasantly surprised.
- Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo- The cover didn't wow me... and I guess I judge books by their covers.
- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry- I wasn't sure what to expect, but I wasn't expect it to become my fav. book of 2012!
- After by Amy Efaw- I have a child so I wasn't sure if I could do this book or not. I definitely didn't think I would ever end up having an understanding for the M/C.
- Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler- I had never read a Sarah Ockler before, so I had zero expectations. I also didn't read the back of the book because I thought it was going to be a light-fluffy book about meeting 20 boys. Umm WRONG!! It was so freaking good and emotional and NOT about 20 boys.
Which books did you guys really expect to like more or less than you did?