Top Ten Books I Wish Were Taught in School
1. Looking for Alaska by John Green- Because it's beautiful and smart and everything that a teen book should be.
2. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini- Because boys seem to like it and it covers mental illness.
3. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson- YES!! Because this is a must for all high schoolers!!
4. After by Amy Efaw- Because it covers teen pregnancy, denial, and the juvenile justice system. It also opens up tons of issues for discussion.
5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky- Because it is an unusual book with a memorable M/C.
6. Crank or Impulse by Ellen Hopkins- Because I think teens would be interested in reading a book written in verse.
7. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher- Because it covers teen suicide and bullying.
8. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling- Because why the hell not?
9. Hate List by Jennifer Brown- Because it's about a school shooting and seeing the signs.
10. Hold Still by Nina LaCour- Because it covers how to deal with the death of a friend.
11. Keep Holding On by Susane Colasanti- Because it shows the effects of bullying on a girl and it's really emotional.
Books that ALMOST made my list:
Go Ask Alice
You Don't Know Me
Please Ignore Vera Dietz
But I Love Him
I'm super interested to see what books you guys came up with. It was HARD for me to narrow down my list!! Also I feel like I lean towards wanting schools to teach books about issues that effect teens today where as the required reading for schools seem to be classic themes that don't have a lot of effect on their lives. IMO the books that are taught in schools turn a lot of kids off to reading completely. Why not let them read these life-changing books that will let them see how awesome reading can be???