Top Ten Books I Have Read Which Feature Diversity
(Including disability, race, ethnicity, LGBT)
1..I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson- Diversity Factor: Noah is gay and going through a whole self-discovery process and a bit of a shut-down as well.
2. Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour- Diversity Factor: Emi is openly gay.
3. Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan- Diversity Factor: I think it's sort of obv., but it features many different types of relationships.
4. The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler- Diversity Factor: It's about an Argentinean family and Illness.
5. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han- Diversity Factor: An amazing Korean-American family!!
6. Burn for Burn trilogy by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
7. Ask the Passengers by A.S. King- Diversity Factor: Astrid is trying to accept herself and come out in a close minded community.
8. Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John- Diversity Factor: Piper is deaf and managing a band!
9. Liar by Justine Larbalestier- Diversity Factor: M/C is African American.
10. Perspolis by Marjane Satrapi- Diversity Factor: Graphic Novel set in the 1980-90's Iran.
11. From What I Remember... by Stacy Kramer & Val Thomas- Diversity Factor: Gay narrator for part of the time and a brother with Asperger's.