Top Ten Characters I Didn't Click With
So I really had to dig deep to separate characters I didn't click with from characters that I just found annoying. In my mind I was making them the same thing, but when I stopped to think about, I don't think that's true. Also I realized that I can not click with the character and still like the book... a lot. That's good because I'm definitely not going to click with everybody.
1. Jam- Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer- So this is my newest read. I wanted to get into Jam's head, but I just did not find her very likable or anything more than 2-dimensional. And that's before I found out the truth about her!
2. Callie- Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller- I liked this book a lot, but Callie I didn't get. She was constantly pushing people away and making the same mistakes over and over and over. I thought someone should give her a hit over the head.
3. Laurel- Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira- Laurel was too immature for me. She was only in 9th grade, but felt MUCH younger. She also was SUCH a follower and not very creative (her journal entries were like copy-paste from Wikipedia).
4. Sloane- This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers- This is another book I REALLY liked, but I don't think many people would be able to click with a girl like Sloane. She's survived a zombie apocalypse, but wants to die.
5. McLean- What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen- McLean was hard for me. She just didn't have that extra-something that Sarah Dessen's characters usually have.
6. Mia- If I Stay by Gayle Forman- I didn't like how old-soul she felt to me. It didn't seem real. Again, I loved the book, but Mia wasn't a favorite.
7. Bianca- The DUFF by Kody Keplinger- I don't understand why she did anything she did. I don't get it.
8. Charlie- Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky- I don't think I'm alone in this one. Charlie is a definitely a hard person to get to know and get the feel of. Even after I figured out WHY he was the way he was, I still had a hard time relating.
9. Stargirl- Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli- Maybe I'm not cool enough to "get" Stargirl, but I just did not get her. I liked the message of the book, but I didn't feel like I knew enough about Stargirl and why she was all wacky.
10. Jessica Darling- In books 3-5 of the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty- Jessica Darling books 1 & 2?? Her, I love!! Jessica 3-5, infuriates me. She SO didn't grow up and she SO needed to. I was not clicking with her judgmental inner commentary.
BONUS: An oldie that I really wanted to click with- Holden Caulfield- Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger- I wanted to click with Holden, and I tried really hard to do so. But I just could not get over his whiney voice. And indecisiveness.
What kind of characters did you not click with??