Halloween Freebie- Easy YA Costumes
I decided to make up some easy and affordable costumes to represent some characters from YA books. I read a lot of Contemporary, so this was kind of hard!! Unless someone in a Contemp book has a super distinctive style, it's pretty hard to make an outfit that people could say "yes that's totally _____". So I tried my best... and the emphasis was on AFFORDABLE. I used Polyvore, so I really had to hold myself back from picking the $2,000 dress. Almost everything I chose is under $50, and if it's not, it's something super generic that you could find cheap at any clothing store.
- From Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh. This was a favorite of mine as a child & how fun would it be to dress up like her?? I kind of did a mix of the movie version and the book version here. The yellow raincoat was very Michelle Trachtenburg.... and of course Harriet needs her notebook and binoculars.
- Yay for Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene. The books were published way back when, so I made her an old fashioned looking detective girl.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Ronald Dahl. How can you not love Mr. Dahl's characters?? (Even when they're super selfish.) I went with the original movie version because I feel she's more well-known.
- Say hello to your friends!! Baby-Sitters Club by Ann M. Martin was an 80's staple and everybody wanted to be brave enough to dress like Claudia. You gotta have the side-pony, and definitely some type of odd printed shit. Her outfits were regularly described as "outrageous" and she definitely liked to play with earring choices.
- I love Lara Jean from To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han.... and I loved her style. It's romantic and girly and innocent and fun. I would say definitely wear something floral and a bow is a must.
- Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira was not my favorite :( But I still think it would be fun to dress up like Laurel... mostly because a lot of her celebrity pen pals were from the 90's.
- Mary Lennox from The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett was probably my hardest one to put together! But this would be SO fun to dress up as!
- Luna Lovegood is probably tied for my favorite HP character. She's adorable, funny, and unique. This is an outfit she wore in the movie... as best I could recreate it.
- Dorothy in Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige is not your girl next door. She's evil and wears mini skirts and stilettos. Make sure your lips are extra glossy because that's what PermaSmile would look like, right?
- **This one is the only outfit that I didn't make sure the prices were reasonable... sorry, it was something I made over the summer for book club. The dress is only $12 though!!
- I'm only cheating a little bit here!! This is the 90's Clarissa from Clarissa Explains it All (one of my favorite shows as a preteen). But since Things I Can't Explain by Mitchell Kriegman comes out Nov. 10th, I think it's okay to say that Clarissa is now a book character :)
So one of these is actually my Halloween costume this year. Can you guess which one it is??
Also what were your Halloween lists about this week?