We're just past Memorial Day Weekend here in the U.S.-- which means pool openings, barbecues, wearing white (not really bc I wear white whenever I want), and SUMMER!! My son's official last day of school was yesterday, and now you can bet I'm signing him up for some Summer Reading. We're going to do the library summer reading program like every year, but also I'm signing him up for the Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Challenge.... because duh, reading AND a free book!!
I'll be doing my own Summer Reading (for fun) and I thought I would share with you the YA summer books you should be on the lookout for... and just for fun I've thrown in some of my favorite summer accessories to go with:
The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz Tash
- Graham has been in love w/ his friend Roxana since forever. When the writer behind their favorite comic book series announces his first ever appearance is going to be at Comic Con, they know they HAVE to go. And Graham thinks this is his big chance to tell Roxana how he really feels.
- The Accessories: I love Geek-wear!! These comic book shoes by Jessica Simpson are ADORABLE... plus the thick heel makes them easier to walk in. I also love the heart glasses, although I'm semi-wary of them due to the Lolita reference :( Why did that book feel the need to ruin something that's so cute??
With Malice by Eileen Cook
- YA Mystery- Jill wakes up in a hospital w/ no memory of the horrific accident she was in that killed one of her friends. Her school trip to Italy is one giant blank. The police and the media think the accident was intentional, but Jill knows she would never hurt her friend.... now she just has to work on remembering and proving it.
- The Accessories: Prada sunglasses because ITALY!! And a more affordable bag that would be perfect to hold all your stuff while sight-seeing (it's still leather though, because ITALY!!).
A Week of the Mondays by Jessica Brody
- It's Groundhog's Day for Ellie when she gets a do-over (or several) to try to get one terrible Monday from hell right.
- The Accessories: Well Aviators are a must for the girlfriend of a rocker, right?? And sticking with the music theme, how cute is that bag? I love whimsical, fun bags like this for summer.
Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally
- Taylor is kicked out of her private school when she covers for her boyfriend and in order to play the sport she loves, she has to join her old school's rival team.
- The Accessories: Soccer = Adidas... and these are pink!! And adorable! Also a sporty girl would use a backpack for a purse... and this backpack is EVERYTHING!
- Sloane is spending the summer in Hawaii when she finds out her boyfriend and her best friend back home have betrayed her in the worst way. Now the amazing summer in paradise isn't looking so hot...
- The Accessories: Beach bag is key for Hawaii. And why not a cute beach towel and summery cell phone case?
Nevernight (#1) by Jay Kristoff
- A new fantasy series about a girl seeking revenge for her father's death (by becoming an assassin) in a world where night does not come.
- The Accessories: It's okay to go dark in the summer sometimes, right?? Well I totally would wear this fringed bag on a night out and the burgundy glasses are so assassin-chic
The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson
- The daughter of a politician finds her summer totally up-in-the-air after her father is embroiled in scandal.
- The Accessories: I love this ice cream purse from ModCloth and it matches the cover so nice! I also this the entire Kate Spade ice cream collection could go with this, but I just chose the sunglasses for now. And I love a floral heel for summer!!
Wanderlost by Jen Malone
- A girl impersonates her sister on a summer Euro-tour job, gets lost, and falls for the tour company owner's son while wandering through different cities.
- The Accessories: Backpacking through Europe includes having a backpack, right? So why not a pink leather one? Also comfy shoes and cute shades are a must!
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, & Jodi Meadows
- A historical fiction based on the life of Lady Jane Grey, who was Queen of England for nine days.
- The Accessories: It's hard to find modern summery things to go w/ historical fiction!! I picked these sunnies because they look like something a royal should wear. And a queen should always wear heels!
Red Velvet Crush by Christina Meredith
- Teddy Lee's band is going on tour for the summer, but not before she clashes with her sister.
- The Accessories: I love these sunglasses and this is definitely a summer bag for a girl in a band :)
Are you planning on reading any of these this summer? What are your summer reading plans?