It's been a WHILE since I updated on my obsessions!! I've probably been through a lot of them since I last did this feature, but I'll share my current ones with you now!
Netflix and Other TV
- I've been in a Netflix slump being that I've pretty much watched all the shows I was interested in. There were a few recent finds that became INSTANT obsessions though
- MTV's Scream Season 1- I was sick (yuck for summer sickness) and I binged this entire season in basically a day. I thought it was going to be cheesy and annoying (and I guess in ways it was), but I actually got really, really into it. It's definitely no Scream movie (it's more like Halloween), but I'm eagerly awaiting Season 2 on Netflix.
- Girls- I watched the first 2 seasons on Amazon Prime and I'm super BUMMED that the rest of the seasons aren't part of Prime :( I don't know what it is about the show-- it's super weird and Lena Dunham is always getting naked at inappropriate moments-- but I couldn't stop watching it.
- What I love about Girls- Shoshanna!!!! I'm the biggest Shoshanna fan. Also, fucking Marni. She embarrasses herself so hard that I find it painful to watch. And WHERE the hell is Jessa?
- Friday Night Lights- I had it on my To-Watch list since I got Netflix, but for some reason I never felt in the mood for football (what the hell, I LOVE football!! I was dumb). I'm really mad at myself because I was totally missing out!! Friday Night Lights is Varsity Blues + One Tree Hill + Party of Five. It's fucking awesome. And TIM RIGGINS!!! HELLO!! I don't even feel bad drooling over him because he's clearly one of those 30 year old actors playing a high school dude.
- What I love about FNL-- Tim Riggins, bad boy w/ a heart of gold done right, Matt Saracen= nice guy you just know will finish last and it makes you sad, Landry and Tyra are the most unlikely couple ever and NEED to be together, "Smash" is adorable and I love a guy who is insecure under all that cocky bravado, Coach and Tami are shown as a strong couple, but they're totally fucked up.
- Marcella- I just started this Netflix Original show and I'm super hooked. It's about a detective trying to catch a serial killer... but she's also having dissociative events where she can't remember periods of time after she gets angry.
- What other series should I watch?? (Here's what I've already done- Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girl, Greek, Baby Daddy, OITNB, Fuller House, AHS, Damages, Rectify, Switched at Birth, Degrassi, Pretty Little Liars, Gotham, Friends, Secret Life of the American Teenager (oh God), House of Cards, Kimmy Schmidt, Bates Motel, Dexter, SOA, Californication, Blue Mountain State, Freaks and Geeks, Parenthood, Once Upon a Time)
- Something you might not know about me--- I love oldies. I grew up listening to them because of my parents and obviously I wasn't the biggest fan back in the 80's-90's. Being forced to listen to something isn't fun, plus I was all about the NKOTB, Debbie Gibson, TLC, Bobby Brown, Bell Biv DeVoe, and other late 80's/early 90's jams. But as I got older, I realized those songs are kinda cool. AND I know all the words (even if I never wanted to).
- SO, I thought I'd share my oldies playlist which has some of my faves on it. Mostly from the early 60's:
- I'm super loving Debut Novels this year.
- Confession: I'm not one of those bandwagon debut hype-er people. I've always liked reading debuts because I like feeling like I'm the FIRST to discover some awesome new talent.... even though I'm totally not, it just makes me feel like I'm ahead of the game when I read someone's first book. But to be honest-- a lot of debuts aren't that great. Most of the time I'm just looking at the potential when I read a debut. Because most writers get better as their writing matures.
- 2016 for whatever reason has been a REALLY good year for debuts. At least the ones I've been reading. I've been insanely impressed and found so many new favorite authors this year and I'm psyched!!
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
- The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith
- Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn
- The Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks (not sure if this is TECHNICALLY a debut since she's written other books under a different name)
- The Creeping by Alexandra Sirowy (TECHNICALLY a 2015 debut, but I read it this year and I LOVED)
- Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy
- After the Woods by Kim Savage
Which Debuts are you loving this year?? Have you noticed the trend of AWESOME debuts this year?
Getting Nerdy on ETSY
- You know I love to get my nerd-on on Etsy. So here's what I'm geeking out over right now:
Now let's talk!! What are you reading?? Any awesome summer recs you can give me? Have you been reading awesome debuts like me? Any Netflix recs? Do you ever throw it back to the oldies? Any fave oldie songs you'd like to share?
PS- See Past OBSESSION posts HERE