So this week is when Fall TV starts!! To be honest-- I don't watch a lot of TV on actual networks. Basically I watch Project Runway, Dance Moms, Real Housewives (sometimes), Football/shows where people talk about football, and the ID network. Everything else I watch via Netflix or Amazon Prime. Why?? It's so much easier for me to wait for a show like American Horror Story to come out as a full season on Netflix than it is to wait and watch 1 episode per week for an entire TV season. Also, I have SUPER bad luck with shows getting cancelled as soon as I start watching them.
Having said all that, I'd really like to try a few shows out (or at least keep an ear out to see if they're something I'd like to watch in my Netflix future)
- Premiere Date: October 5, 9 pm on the CW
- It's a remake of one of my fave ever movies!!! It's a woman this time that can talk to her dad through the ham radio. I love everything about solving crimes through time.
- Premiere Date: September 22, 9 pm on Fox
- A girl MLB pitcher?? Love the idea of it. This has me a tad worried about making it long-term, but it's SO cool!
- Premiere Date: October 3, 10 pm on NBC
- A criminal steals a time machine and a team must chase him through time to save America. It's very Terminator and I haven't watched a time travel show in forevs!! (Like maybe since Quantum Leap??)
- Premiere Date: September 23, 9 pm on Fox
- I should probably just give up on this one since they are airing it on FRIDAYS??? That's the kiss of death for TV shows.
Are you watching any NEW shows this fall?
Stranger Things & Now in Desperate NEED
So like most people, I watched Stranger Things this summer. But now I'm in an EPIC Netflix slump!! Nothing is going to be as good as this was and is anything going to be as addicting???
Why I loved it (and why you should watch it if you haven't):
- It's so true to the 80's. Did you ever watch a show that's supposedly set in the 80's or 90's and it's SO stereotypical fake?? Like all the actors are just playing dress up instead of actually being true to the time period? Well this isn't that. This actually felt like I was watching a movie made in the 80's.... like Poltergeist or E.T.
- At first I was like where is this going?? I thought it was going to be one of those big build-ups that wouldn't live up, but I was wrong. I liked where the story went and how things played out. It was just the right amount of creepy and sci-fi.
- I know everyone is all !!!! over Eleven, and I thought she was fab, but I liked all the kids. I thought they equally drove the series.
- I need season 2 like NOW!!!
Now I need something to watch!!! I watched the new episodes of Baby Daddy (and LOVED each one), I'm awaiting Scream season 2 on September 30, but what else can I watch???
(Here's what I've already done- Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girl, Greek, Baby Daddy, OITNB, Fuller House, AHS, Damages, Rectify, Switched at Birth, Degrassi, Pretty Little Liars, Gotham, Friends, Secret Life of the American Teenager (oh God), House of Cards, Kimmy Schmidt, Bates Motel, Dexter, SOA, Californication, Blue Mountain State, Freaks and Geeks, Parenthood, Once Upon a Time, Marcella, Scream, Stranger Things)
So I've book Bookstagramming a lot lately. I go through phases where I'm all about it, and then I get BLAH about it, but right now I'm in a groove. I feel like I've found a good rhythm and sense of what I like and how I like to picture on there.
The thing about it is, I have to keep it fun or I'll go to the bad place:
1. I can't take it too serious. If I start getting all nit-picky and perfectionist about it, I'll drive myself insane. I took a photography class in college and I really went to a bad place because of how HARD I was on myself. I'm a Self-Loather. Always have been. I generally hate everything I do creatively, but if it's something I'm taking seriously, I take that hate to a whole new stress level.
If I start taking Bookstagram pics too seriously I'll wake up one day with a Canon Digital Rebel, 999 versions of editing software downloaded on my phone and laptop, and my entire day will just be me stressing out over how bad I hate my pictures and how embarrassed I am for anyone to see them. This sounds dumb to say out loud, but this is legit how I am. Taking Bookstagram lightly is key, so....
2. I only allow myself to use Instagram to edit my pics. If I fall down the rabbit hole and start using all sorts of other programs, I'll be in trouble.
3. I don't believe in themes. Yes, I'm sure themes look nice when you open up your or someone else's main Instagram page, but I just want to do whatever strikes me at that moment. I don't want to feel like it has to be a certain filter or background or whatev. I just want to go with it.
4. I gotta keep it simple. I like the cleaner look, I think that's more my style, but beyond that-- it's too time consuming to drag out 999 props. I also have a touch of OCD from back when I was a kid where I don't like to move stuff. It's a weird thing, but if I start moving things around that haven't been moved in a while I get anxiety and I really don't think Bookstagram is a good enough reason to trigger it.
5. I just like taking pictures. I'm not a photographer and I don't want to be one. I don't think my pictures are anything great (self-loather coming at ya), so I am seriously just doing it for fun.
I also talked about recycling Bookstagram pics because we take them and they end up just getting buried in our feeds. It seems like there should be other things we can use those lovely pictures for besides blog graphics. I personally started doing THIS with them, and I'm looking for more ideas. Do you have any??
PS- My instagram name is MichelleSulk-- follow me and I'll be sure to check your account out also :)
How is your Instagramming/Bookstagramming going?
Asking For It by Louise O'Neill
- I read this book earlier this month (and still need to review it), but I can't get it out of my mind. It's so honest and HARD and I really think EVERY SINGLE PERSON needs to read it. I love books that make you feel uncomfortable and the way Ms. O'Neill made an unlikable character into the victim made me feel like I swallowed a cinder block. It hurt my head how much this book made me think about societal views on sexual assault and the role social media plays in it now.
Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
- Holy SHIZZ I like this book!! I just started it yesterday, but hell-to-the-yes this is a ME book. I don't know about Alex yet, but Peekay and Jack are major YES characters. I'm feeling the alternate POV chapters and the way the characters communicate with each other. So far I'm INTO it. Thanks Cassi for letting me borrow it!!
Have you read/plan to read either of these books?
- One of my favorite things about fall (besides PLAID) is long-sleeved dresses. I love wearing dresses because they're cute and it's an easy outfit to put together. So now that the weather is about to turn, I'm on the hunt for some cute long-sleevers :)
What do you like most about fall fashion?
Let's talk!! What fall TV are you watching? What fall books are you excited for? Do you have certain fashion items you love for fall? Tell me about your Bookstagram stuff!!
PS- See Past OBSESSION posts HERE