I read THIS post from Kristy Chronicles-- and it got me thinking about my book starting habits. I really liked her list, so I decided to make one of my own.
Admittedly, I start a lot of books before I've finished the book I'm currently reading-- and I do it for a number of reasons:
1. Because the book I'm reading is BLAH.
- So, basically I do this because I'm going the DNF the book I'm currently reading, but I'm not ready to ADMIT to myself that I'm going to DNF it. I'll start a new book and TELL myself that I'm going to go back to that other book-- and then I don't.
2. I promised that I was going to read X book by X date.
- If you're a book blogger, then you know. We get books and we're supposed to read/review them by the release date (or a week or 2 after). Also, we sign up for blog tours and have other personal deadlines we like to make for ourselves to finish and review books.
3. I just like variety because-- MOOD READER.
- Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to read my current book. But that doesn't mean what #1 on this list means. It's not that I'm trying to stealthily DNF, it's that just at THIS exact moment, the fluffy contemporary is not doing it for my dark mood. But then I read a darker book for a few hours and I'm all refreshed to go back to that fluffiness.
4. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing things.
- When I read 3 (or 5) books all at once, I feel like I'm somehow reading faster than I am?? No, I'm totally not, but I just feel that way because books are getting opened instead of sitting on shelves.
5. My mom brings me a library book.
- I make lists of backlist books I want to read and I give them to my mom. Since she's a regular library goer, she picks up books for me along her way, and it's really worked out great. But when she shows up with a book, I feel like I should do my best to read it in the 2 week allotment that the library gives. It's worked out really well because I've read SO many older books that had slipped through the cracks.
6. Format problems.
- Sometimes I'm reading a book on my Kindle and it needs charged and I'm about to go somewhere-- and OMG, I am not going without some sort of book. So, I grab a physical copy of something to start. OR sometimes the opposite happens. Sometimes I'm going somewhere where I feel that reading an eReader would be better-- say it's going to be darkish?? Or I don't have a ton of room in my bag and my Paperwhite would fit better?
Throughout all these reasons, sometimes I just end up being overwhelmed by the amount of books I've started and haven't finished. When that happens, I go into this weird panic mode where I feel like I can't start ANYTHING until I finish what I have going on. But then I get sad because that means a new book being started is so far away.
So, the struggle of a multi-book reader is real!!
Do you read many books at once? Do you ever use it to super-secretly DNF? Does multi-book reading work out good for you, or do you go to the bad place sometimes where you get overwhelmed (like me)? Or are you just an Organized Oliver and can keep them all straight?