Top Ten Books That Would Be On My Sobfest 101 Syllabus
So if you want to be introduced to YA, you gotta learn about the books that will rip out your heart and leave you with a major book hangover. You don't want to be blindsided by these books because it'll hurt so much more. So here's my class for the newcomer to the world of YA Sobfests:
1. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White- Nothing like Charlotte's Web to loosen the tears in your eyeballs. It's the ultimate elementary school downer.
2. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson- Friendship and death. Yes this is a good "bridge" into harder things.
3. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls- Ending the intro on the pinnacle of elementary sobfests. I mean, when you got animals that die, you know you're bound to be sobbing.
4. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell- It's not going to make everyone cry, but with the abandonment by a mother AND a twin sister, it got me.
5. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver- It's a build-up and will eventually lead you to tears.
6. Winger by Andrew Smith- You'll laugh.... until you cry.
7. Torn Away by Jennifer Brown- Now we're getting into some straight up heart hurting.
8. Hold Still by Nina LaCour- Death, friendship, love... and a journal. It has all the ingredients.
9. Love You Hate You Miss You by Elizabeth Scott- Now we're getting into the tough stuff. A girl who blames herself for a best friend's death.
10. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling- Because J.K. Rowling knows how to pull out your heart and stomp on it with a cement truck.
11. Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick- A non-stop, soul-hurting, sobbing from beginning to end read.
***The John Green Portion of our class**12. Looking For Alaska by John Green- Yes John Green deserves his own section based on his ability to make me feel like I'll never be okay again. And based on the fact that his specialty is to make his readers hurt inside.
13. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- Ultimate book hangover sobfest.
14. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks- The end all and be all of sobfests. If you do not cry, you do not have a soul. (J/K.... maybe).
So that's my class!! Hope everyone who's going back to school has a splendid school year!!