Sorry this really isn't about my girl Carmen-- it's about authors who don't have upcoming books.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not really a patient person. I tend to get antsy if an author I like publishes a book and doesn't have another one on deck-- at least one that's been sold and announced. Once their newest book comes out, I go into Goodreads stalker mode and check their page way too many times to see if I missed hearing something. I have issues.
My Opinion: Authors should publish a book every year.
In a pure and perfect world, all my favorite authors would publish a book per year (or at least every 18 months). But Michelle, you say, books take time to perfect. You can't rush art, you say. And I'm sure that's true and all-- but I WANT THE BOOKS!!!
Here are some authors that are currently MIA and therefor TORTURING ME:
- Last Book Released: The Boy Most Likely To-- August 2015
- I LOVE Huntley Fitzpatrick. I follow her on Facebook (which is unusual for me, but she puts up really interesting content about her family and writing process and life in general), and she sometimes talks about how she is writing something... but WHAT?? I need to know what and WHEN???
- Last Book Released: Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls-- July 2015
- I read Suicide Notes and Wherever Nina Lies and both were super interesting mysteries-- and I want to read more and I want to know when that more is coming.
- Last Book Released: Brutal Youth-- June 2014
- This author is originally from Pittsburgh, so when Brutal Youth came out, I was all over it. It was so unique and dark and ughhhh I need more like that. I was impressed and can't wait to see what else he has up his sleeve.
- Last Book Released: Those Girls-- June 2015
- I know not everybody liked Those Girls as much as I did... but honestly it was probably my favorite book that I got at BEA 2015. I really hope she writes more (and soon).
- Last Book Released: My Last Kiss-- June 2014
- So, I didn't love this book, but I liked it enough to want more-- and now it's been almost 3 years!!
Abigail Haas aka Abby McDonald
- Last Book Released: Dangerous Boys-- August 2014
- I admit I haven't read Dangerous Boys yet (I was supposed to read it with Cassi, & she knows what she did), but I own it, and I will read it soon enough. The thing is, Dangerous Girls was SO good!! Like the BEST YA Mystery I've ever read. SO PLEASE MISS HAAS/MCDONALD, GIVE ME MORE OF YOUR GENIUS!!
- Last Book Released: The Summer of Chasing Mermaids-- June 2015
- The Summer of Chasing Mermaids is the only Sarah Ockler book that I have left to read-- after that ????? What am I supposed to do with myself. Also, I miss her terribly and am getting anxious knowing there's no new release to pine over!
- Last Book Released: Thin Space-- September 2013
- This was another book that I didn't LOVE, but thought it had a super interesting concept. I'd definitely like to read more by her, so ??? It's been over 3 years!
- Last Book Released: Crash and Burn-- February 2013
- This is one of my favorite books of EVER. I fell completely in love with it and I really don't know what's up with this author. His Twitter is abandoned & I'm really starting to think this is the only book I'll ever get from him. Which is sad, but I'm happy I at least got this one perfect book.
- Last Book Released: Confessions series--June 2013
- Oh how I LOVED this series. The final book was only released as an ebook, so that has me nervous. Are there more Rose books in her future?? Are there other stories??
- Last Book Released: The Fault in Our Stars-- January 2012
- I know what this guy's been busy doing (getting every book he's ever written or thought about made into a movie), but 2012 was a long time ago Mr. Green!! Can you maybe write some more books and do less executive producing???
- Last Book Released: Notes from Ghost Town-- February 2013
- I just realized that Kat Ellison has another book that came out in 2012 called The Butterfly Clues-- and I am definitely adding that to the TBR-- but other than these books, there's been nothing.
Erica Lorraine Scheidt
- Last Book Released: Uses for Boys-- January 2013
- Wow, Uses for Boys was so powerful, gritty, and dark. It was so honest and brave. I was fully expecting lots more from this author, but where has she been??
- Last Book Released: Love and Other Perishable Items aka Good Oil-- December 2012
- This is an Aussie writer and I SUPER loved this book-- but OMG it usually takes a while for the US to publish Australian books, so that means even if she does publish something in the near future, I'm not going to be able to read it.
- Last Book Released: The Perks of Being a Wallflower-- February 1999
- Seriously dude, you dropped this gem on the world almost 20 years ago-- and then NOTHING ELSE?? I know that he's busy with movie stuff (he's directing Wonder and wrote the screenplay for the live-action Beauty and the Beast movie), but still....
- Last Book Released: After-- August 2009
- This book blew me away-- somehow the author was able to take a main character who did something TERRIBLE and make me have sympathy for her. I thought it showed so much talent. But she's been MIA ever since :(
- Jandy Nelson (Goodreads SAYS there's a book from her coming in 2017, but I have my doubts), Rainbow Rowell (nothing since Carry On), Jesse Andrews (okay, he had a book out in 2016, but I still want something to look forward to), Nova Ren Suma, Courtney Summers (I know she's working on something, but WHAT???), Gillian Flynn (another John Green situation, but I need more fucked-upness in my life).
So just because I don't KNOW about the books doesn't mean there aren't any that are being whipped up-- but until I KNOW, I'm going to be anxious to know. Do you get panicked when authors go MIA? Which authors do you want to come out of hiding?