- I said on my last Obsessions post that I was going to meet Maggie Stiefvater, and I DID!! It was everything I was hoping it would be. Maggie told this hilarious story of her life, complete with chapter titles. I loved all her stories of growing up being the non-happy girl, living on pasta for many years, owning fainting goats, and stories from her portrait painting days. Seriously, her cat paintings are on point.
- I love going to these author signings with my book club. It makes me feel all book cluby and stuff. So hopefully more authors will come to Pittsburgh in the future!! I mean, Rainbow Rowell and Maggie Stiefvater in ONE month!!! That's pretty promising!
- Also my book club girls (and me) have convinced Cassi to come to book club... and I hope she keeps coming and having so much fun with us!!
- I watched it (the first episode)!! And what did I think: I really don't know. Part of me wants to like it so bad because I love a woman superhero (although she's not superwoman, she's superGIRL). But WHY does she have to be clumsy?? Ughhh, I'm sorry but I can't help but be annoyed. The girl is clumsy at work and clumsy while fighting crime. And it just makes me feel the weakness in it. Maybe it's Twilight that killed the clumsy factor for me, but you show a girl being clumsy and I auto-hate her and think she's weak or you're trying to make her weak because she's a girl.
- I thought the first episode was nice, and the actress who plays Supergirl is really fun.... but I also felt as though it was a bit of info-dump. BAM- here's her whole backstory BAM- here's the guy who's crushing on her BAM- here's the guy that's crushing on her TELLING her that he's crushing on her BAM- here's the new love interest BAM- here's the super-villain and her whole network of minions.
- I just didn't think it was necessary for SO much to come out in that one episode. Especially the love interest and crush aspect. Didn't it take like YEARS for Lois to know Clark was crushing on her?
- I have DVR'd the next episodes... has anyone watched them and liked them?
Dawson's Creek (College Years)
- So I was flipping around channels on my TV and I ran across a channel showing a few episodes of Dawson's Creek. I haven't watched any in a while, so I thought why not?? After 2 episodes I was breaking out my DVD box set of the entire series to do a college years-only rewatch.
- So why only the college years?? I guess because there's LESS of Dawson. Even though he is supposed to be the main dude, I just never liked him. It's kind of weird because I like James Van Der Beek in other things, but as Dawson... BLAH!! Anyway, Dawson is safely away (for the most part) filming movies and being a douche, so college years I decided to watch. Also, I really felt the need to watch the final episode so I could see my OTP get together once and for all.... and cry, that last episode is SO sad.
- Watching it (and live tweeting my reactions) made me remember how awesome and silly that show was. Those kids take themselves so damn seriously. And they always have to do the right thing in the end. It's definitely a little corny, but still.... it's nostalgic for me.
- So thoughts: I always thought Jen should have died from something more impactful in the finale. I mean, heart condition was way too tame. Also, I thought it very odd that Jack goes to the hospital with his boyfriend to get tested and they never once say the word HIV or AIDS... but clearly they are there for that particular test. Were we still not able to talk about that stuff in 2003??
Secret Santas and Sisters Galore
- I'm very much loving this new round of OTSP Secret Sister!! I'm having the best time getting to know BOTH my sisters. The one I'm sending to sent me something... which I want to be like "NO!!! I'm supposed to send to you!!!" But then also I'm like all teary eyed because it was SO sweet!!
- The sister who is sending to me is AMAZING!! She's sent me the coolest packages! I feel like she always comes up with really adorable themes (pink 90's nostalgia, fairy tales, and fall so far) and she just GETS me so well. I'll be sad to give her up in a few months. Some of the awesome things she bought me are pictured above^^ and WOW... I love it all. Steelers stuff?!?!? A Funko Doll!?!? She's too cool!
- I also have 2 Secret Santa's (or as my book club calls it Pollyanna) to shop for. I'm doing the Broke and Bookish Secret Santa (thanks Jamie for putting it together) again, because YAY!!! It's how I've met a ton of cool blogger friends!!! (Shoutout to Heather, Kristin, and Danielle). My book club also does a Secret Santa/Pollyanna as well. So I will be buying for one of those crazy gals.
- That's a lot of things to think of to buy over the next few weeks. And I really try to get things that I think the people will truly like!! It's so much pressure!!! And so much fun!!! Now off to Etsy to find some things :)
Books and a Reading Slump
- I'm very much in a book slump right now. I've been living in denial, but I just can't get into reading at the moment and it makes me really sad. I feel like I'm screwing myself out of reading all the books that I want to read by feeling so blah about reading. I don't know why this is happening, but here I am 1 month and NO new books finished!! NONE! :(
- I thought when Winter came out last week (and I immediately went out and bought it), it would be the book to get me over this.... but I've read around 150 pages and I still don't feel the urge to read. This really sucks you guys!!
- How do you get over your slumps?
I want to talk to you guys. What are your recent obsessions?? Anything on Netflix that has got you hooked? Any recent series binges? Are you doing any secret santas this year? Any idea about how to get me out of this slump?