It's obvious by now that I LOVE THE 90's. What you don't know is, I used to have an equally hot-burning obsession with the 80's. I wouldn't say I'm LESS obsessed with that decade, I'd just say my 90's nostalgia kicked in HARD these last few years and overtook my 80's love just a bit. After all, most of my memorable childhood and coming-of-age years were spent in the 90's. But back to the 80's--- one of my favorite things about the 80's were the AWESOME movies that that decade brought us. And since I've been in a movie mood lately, I thought I would share with you some lesser-known, oldie-but-goodie, must-watch movies from the decade of big hair, spandex, neon, and Hair Bands.
Some less popular 80's gems:
Peggy Sue Got Married- This might be my favorite lesser known 80's flick. It's about a girl who goes to a high school reunion in the 80's, faints, and wakes up in 1960 (her senior year of high school). Because of many future regrets, she decides that she's going to take this do-over and make different choices.
- Starring: Kathleen Turner & Nicholas Cage
- Cool Factor: Seeing Jim Carrey as part of a doo-wop group and Nicholas Cage thinking he could rewrite a Beatles song.
- Starring: David Kramer
- Cool Factor: Pee Wee Herman (aka Paul Reubens) as the voice of the robot on the spaceship. Also, cool alien critters.
- Starring: John Lithgow & Melinda Dillon (the mom from A Christmas Story)
- Cool Factor: Seeing Harry interact with an adorable Jack Russell Terrier.
- Starring: Cybill Shepherd, Robert Downey Jr., & Ryan O'Neal
- Cool Factor: Robert Downey Jr. at his cutest IMO.
Witchboard- Finally an 80's horror!! This one is about the infamous Ouija board and the spirit of a serial killer it unleashes
- Starring: Tawney Kitaen (remember those Whitesnake videos???)
- Cool Factor: Cheesy horror was an 80's staple. B movies like this one were EVERYWHERE and so fun to rent for sleepovers with your friends.
- Starring: A SUPER YOUNG and adorable Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, & Lee Montgomery
- Cool Factor: Shannon Doherty playing a bratty little sister, plus DANCING and leotards!!
- Starring: Lukas Haas
- Cool Factor: Mona from Who's the Boss playing the craziest looking lady. It's nightmare inducing.
- Starring: Robin Lively
- Cool Factor: SO MANY!! Awesome random outbursts of songs and dance routines. Tons of 80's hair and fashion. Fun Fact: Robin Lively is the real-life sister of Blake Lively. Blake is SO lucky!!
Hiding Out- It's DUCKY!!! But not really. Jon Cryer plays a stockbroker who disguises himself as a high school student in order to hide from the mob.
- Starring: Jon Cryer, Keith Coogan (AKA Kenny in Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead), & Annabeth Gish
- Cool Factor: Babyfaced Jon Cryer in a man-beard and weird skunked-out hair.
- Starring: Charlie Schlatter & George Burns
- Cool Factor: GEORGE motherfuckin' BURNS!! This dude was in his 90's when this movie was made. Mad props to this guy.
- Starring: Joyce Hyser
- Cool Factor: Raunchy sex jokes, the BEST 80's outfits ever, total high school movie stereotypes (Geeks, Jocks, etc. and I LOVE it), and April's mom from Gilmore Girls as Sandy, a girl who has a crush on boy-Terry.
- Starring: the infamous Corey's- Corey Haim and Corey Feldman
- Cool Factor: An awesomely 80's soundtrack. Seeing the charisma of the Corey's together. Heather Graham playing the "hot girl" named Mercedes.
Muppets Take Manhattan- This is the ultimate 80's kids movie. It has music and cool guest stars-- and of course, a wedding everyone's been waiting for!
- Starring: Well, the Muppets!!
- Cool Factor: Tons of guest stars- including my girl, Joan Rivers...but also Brooke Shields and Liza Minnelli. And, EPIC soundtrack.
- Starring: Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd
- Cool Factor: Crazy alternate endings, Tim Curry being the raddest butler on the planet.
- Starring: Will Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell, Kiefer Sutherland
- Cool Factor: Kiefer Sutherland and his epic gang of bad-guys. Seeing a chubby Jerry O'Connell (it's so odd). "Sick balls, Chopper". Leeches in places that leeches shouldn't be.
- Starring: Almost the entire "Brat Pack"-- Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Andrew McCarthy
- Cool Factor: A freaking awesome title song.
Want to see:(Movies I have never even heard of, but came across recently)
A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon
- Why I want to see it: A River Phoenix movie that I haven't seen???? I must fix this. Also, Matthew Perry plays his best friend. This has to be good.
- Why I want to see it: First, the TITLE!! Plus a Demi Moore/Rob Lowe movie that I haven't seen??
- Why I want to see it: I love popularity geek makeover movies!! Plus, guardian angel movies are cool too.
- Why I want to see it: Lea Thompson!! Love her! Also, I love a party movie!
Some of these I haven't watched in WHILE, so I think I'll go fix that now with an 80's movie marathon!!
Do you love the 80's?? Have you watched any of these, or have any movies you want to recommend to me?