Top Ten Characters Everybody Loves, But I Just Don't Get
- So some of the characters on this list are from books I absolutely LOVE. Just because I don't click with a character doesn't mean I can't super enjoy the book. Also, just because I don't "GET" them, doesn't mean I don't have empathy for their situations or whatever. Basically, I don't hate these people, they make me feel some type of way.
1. Blue-- The Raven Boys series by Maggie Stiefvater
- Seriously, I do like Blue!! But she's easily my least favorite character in the series. I don't "get" her a lot of the time. She comes off a little too harsh sometimes-- like once she makes up her mind about somebody or something, that's it, there's no changing it.
2. Jam-- Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer
- Before I read this book, I heard SO many good things!! But when I picked it up, I was very surprised how much I was not feeling Jam. She was so self-absorbed. All her friendships and relationships were all about her. I never felt like she stopped to try to know anyone. Also, the big twist made me really angry at her, and I don't think I'm over it yet.
3. Snape-- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- Okay, hear me out!! Snape to me was a great character for Harry to butt heads with. But when all was revealed about Snape, it's like he was supposed to become this "hero" in one instant. I just CAN'T. There were 7 books building up Snape as a bad-guy and 1 single act or revelation isn't going to change my opinion. He played the Dark Side a little too well for that. I swear he liked it. (Also, I didn't get the whole Severus middle name thing... I mean, after ALL he did??). Maybe I just didn't "get" it.
4. Alaska-- Looking for Alaska by John Green
- I loved Miles, but I never really understood Alaska 100%. I think that's intentional, as she is sort of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, but it made it hard to really get to KNOW her. I did LOVE & totally recommend this book though!!
5. Lillian-- Burn for Burn series by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
- I don't dislike Lillian, but it did annoy me that everyone was falling all over themselves being in love with her. She came off spoiled and selfish at times. Basically, I just didn't get what was SO irresistible about her to so many.
6. Mara Dyer-- The Mara Dyer series by Michelle Hodkin
- As the series progressed, I liked Mara less and less. When the big reveal came around, I was so disappointed. I was even more disappointed by Mara's final choice. I thought it was crazy-selfish and gross.
7. Cress-- The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer
- I don't know!!! I just don't care for Cress :( She's always blushing and being clumsy and she's a bit of a stalker. I get that she's been isolated for most of her life, so I try to cut her slack... but I just think she's always going to be my least fav character in the series.
8. Laurel-- Love Letters To the Dead by Ava Dellaira
- I know Laurel had been through a lot, but she just didn't feel like a real person to me. She was always mimicking her sister or her friends to the point where she had zero identity of her own. And her VOICE in the book drove me nuts.
9. Callie-- Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller
- Ughhh Callie!!! She was SO frustrating. She kept making the same mistakes over and over and over. She always ran away from all her problems and somehow everyone else made it right for her.
10. Lily-- Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn
- I just could NOT with this girl. She was so whiney and painfully naive. I had to resort to skimming a lot of her parts.
This list definitely has an array of feelings. Some of it is minor- we just didn't click stuff. Some of it is- You frustrate me to no end stuff :)
What characters made your list??