A few weeks ago I posted some of my favorite lesser-known 80's movies and since I had so much fun doing it, I've decided to share my fave 90's movies as well. Also, it has a little to do with the fact that I am 90's OBSESSED right now :) Some of these movies are more well-known than others... because some I just could not help but putting on the list due to hard-core love. Example: The Sandlot is a pretty well-known flick, but I just love it so hard I wanted it on my list :) I hope you enjoy this post, and maybe you'll find something new to put on your must-watch list!! Now I bring you my fave underrated movies from the decade of boy bands, scrunchies, chokers, Doc Martins, and slap bracelets.
90's Movies You Just Gotta See:
For Love or Money- Michael J. Fox plays a hotel concierge who dreams of owning his own hotel someday. When he finally gets a backer, it turns out the guy is in a relationship with the girl he loves.
- Starring: Michael J. Fox & Gabrielle Anwar
- Cool Factor: Michael J. Fox's character plays with this awesome hotel model that as a kid I thought rocked. Also YES to the old-school bell hop that works for the hotel.
- Starring: Andrew Lowery & Traci Lind
- Cool Factor: I loved that it was campy & over-the-top. Plus, it's pretty gross!!
- Starring: Robert Downey Jr. & Elizabeth Shue
- Cool Factor: Singing "Walk Like a Man" in the bathroom, watching Robert Downey Jr. being possessed by a woman.
- Starring: Phoebe Cates, Rik Myall
- Cool Factor: IMAGINARY FRIENDS!!! Plus- there's a dog poop scene :)
- Starring: Alicia Silverstone & Cary Elwes
- Cool Factor: Like I said, Alicia Silverstone plays a badass villain. And I LOVE dude from Princess Bride and Robin Hood: Men in Tights... he's definitely crush-worthy.
- Starring: Sandra Bullock & Tate Donovan
- Cool Factor: This is one of Sandra's first movies, so it's cool to see her before the BIG success. Also, I LOVE a makeover & this movie definitely has one. AND OMG any movie based off of a song?!?!? (Love Potion Number 9 by The Searchers).
- Starring: Anna Chlumsky, Macaulay Culkin, Jamie Lee Curtis & Dan Aykroyd
- Cool Factor: POEMS!! Any movie w/ Macaulay Culkin is SO 90's, but this one is set in the 70's and that is groovy!
- Starring: Christina Ricci & Bill Pullman
- Cool Factor: Even though it's based on a child's cartoon series... it's SO freaking emotional at times. Also, there is Devon Sawa!!
The Mighty Ducks- A lawyer gets community service coaching a misfit youth hockey team.
- Starring: Emilio Estevez, Joshua Jackson
- Cool Factor: HELLO!?!? This is Pacey (ahem, Joshua Jackson)'s FIRST real movie!! Also, there is a lot of quacking... and you can't forget the flying "V". (PS- my first BIG celebrity crush was Adam Banks... because Adam Banks is totally hot)
- Starring: Kristy Swanson, Luke Perry, Donald Sutherland
- Cool Factor: There's pretty much NOTHING not cool about this movie. 1. Luke Perry is exceptionally hot playing a dude named PIKE. 2. Hillary Swank plays an uber-popular mean girl who says "sitch" a lot. 3. This quote- "Does the word 'duh' mean anything to you?" 3. CHEERLEADERS- "How funky is your chicken?" (oh yeah and 90's fashion at it's ultimate peak)
- Starring: Tom Guiry, James Earl Jones
- Cool Factor: "You're killing me Smalls"--It'll never get old. And "FOR-EV-ER". And Wendy Peffercorn was pretty hot. Also, it has a Wonder Years feel with the narration, and that's something I'll never say no to.
- Starring: Michael J. Fox, Christina Vidal, Nathan Lane
- Cool Factor: Seeing young people with talents auditioning! It's like America's Got Talent, Jr.
Death Becomes Her- This is one of my all-time favs!! It's a black comedy that's basically about being vain and wanting to remain young and beautiful forever.... at all costs.
- Starring: Goldie Hawn, Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis
- Cool Factor: I love the scenes where they become young again. To my 10-ish year old self it was movie magic :) Also watching people fight who can't die is kind of awesome.
- Starring: Heather Matarazzo, Christina Vidal
- Cool Factor: Warren from Empire Records is the wannabe rapist-boy Brandon. Also EPIC nerdy & unfortunate fashion.
- Starring: Rodney Dangerfield, Jonathan Brandis, Jackée Harris
- Cool Factor: Jonathan Brandis is totally just as hot as a girl.
- Starring: Jason London, Matthew McConaughey, Wiley Wiggins
- Cool Factor: There isn't much about this movie that isn't cool, especially the MUSIC. The highlights: McConaughey's "alright, alright alright" and "I get older, they stay the same age", seeing Ben Affleck play an absolute douche, and CLASSIC Parker Posey.
- Starring: Lisa Kudrow, Mira Sorvino
- Cool Factor: Janine Garafalo-- remember her?? And dude always has to get his binder every time Michele comes around. Fashion, fashion, and more fashion. PROM!! So many awesome flashbacks.
- Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Mark Wahlberg
- Cool Factor: The Dad is CSI main scientist guy. Mark Wahlberg is seriously creepy. And the amusement park scene totally traumatized me.
- Starring: Jeremy London, Jason Lee, Jason Mewes
- Cool Factor: So many. Shannon Doherty playing a bitch (what else?), Stan Lee cameo, Ben Affleck playing a douche (again), the infamous Stinkpalm, and Magic Eye (remember that frustrating thing??).
- Starring: Rose McGowan, Rebecca Gayheart, Julie Benz, Judy Greer
- Cool Factor: Marilyn Manson!! Dying by Jawbreaker!! 90's fashion on point.
Stir of Echoes- Probably my favorite Mystery/Thriller of the decade. After being hypnotized at a party, a guy become haunted by a girl who was murdered.
- Starring: Kevin Bacon
- Cool Factor: Paint it Black by the Stones is an important piece of the puzzle, and also it's freaking scary!!
- Starring: Katie Holmes, Helen Mirren, Barry Watson
- Cool Factor: Oh yes, Matt Camden plays the bad boy!!
- Starring: Leo Fitzpatrick, Justin Pierce, Chloe Sevigny
- Cool Factor: This movie launched the careers of Chloe Sevigny and Rosario Dawson
- Starring: Renee Zellweger, Liv Tyler, Ethan Embry, Robin Tunney
- Cool Factor: Another one that is just cool from start to finish. But seriously, if you don't know what Rex Manning Day is, you really need to watch this movie. Also there's-- head shaving, plaid skirts & Doc Martins, so much music, & Warren the shoplifter.
Go- A movie told in multiple perspectives of a wild Christmas Eve in L.A.
- Starring: Katie Holmes, Scott Wolfe, Jay Mohr
- Cool Factor: A RAVE!!!
- Starring: Christina Ricci, Rosie O'Donnell, Thora Birch, Demi Moore
- Cool Factor: Ummm, Devon Sawa??? But really FRIENDSHIP!!! Awesome bikes, a treehouse, and GIRL POWER!
- Starring: Melissa Joan Hart, Adrian Grenier
- Cool Factor: A REO Speedwagon singalong, Britney's song which the movie title is based (or was it the other way around?), PROM, and of course lots of adorable Adrian Grenier dimples!!
- Starring: Christina Applegate, Danielle Harris, Keith Coogan
- Cool Factor: David Duchovny playing a douchey jerk, "I'm right on top of that Rose", fashion show!!
Encino Man- What's a 90's movie list without at least ONE Pauly Shore movie? 2 teens find a caveman trapped in ice, thaw him out, and show him teenage life in California.
- Starring: Brendan Fraser, Sean Astin, Pauly Shore
- Cool Factor: This is Brendan Fraser's first real movie! Sean Astin as a non-hobbit!! AND choreographed dancing!
- Starring: Rachael Leigh Cook, Schuyler Fisk, Larisa Oleynik
- Cool Factor: The guy from My Girl 2 plays Logan! Overalls and other 90's fashion and Gia from Full House shows up!
- Starring: Johnny Depp, Benicio Del Toro
- Cool Factor: Gary Busey cameo, Tobey McGuire cameo, Johnny Depp w/ a lizard tail.
- Starring: Katherine Heigl, Danielle Harris
- Cool Factor: Thigh highs!!! Of course, a H.S. dance, and some risqué topics for a Disney movie.
My other (more obvious) favorites:
Can't Hardly Wait, Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Varsity Blues, The Craft, Clueless, 10 Things I Hate About You, Election, Home Alone, Forrest Gump, Titanic, Terminator 2, Toy Story, Jurassic Park, The Matrix, Hook, Boogie Nights, Ace Ventura, She's All That, A League of Their Own, American Pie, Austin Powers, Office Space, Cruel Intentions, Cocktail
What are your favorite 90's movies?? Do we share any of the same? Any other ones you want to rec to me?