So, I'm doing Jamie's end of year book survey again because I like it. I know it's super late, and I'm sure everyone is beyond done with Best-Of 2016 posts, but I still want to share my faves!
NUMBER OF BOOKS YOU READ: 50
NUMBER OF RE-READS: 1 (I'm not a good re-reader)
GENRE YOU READ THE MOST FROM: YA Mystery/Thriller
1. Best Book You Read in 2016
- OVERALL BEST: The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith
- YA Mystery BEST: The Creeping by Alexandra Sirowy
- YA Contemp BEST: This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills
2. BOOK YOU WERE EXCITED ABOUT & THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO LOVE MORE BUT DIDN'T?
- Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum- I thought I would love this book, and I liked it okay, but it was SUPER predictable and felt like it followed a "YA Contemporary Formula".
- How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather- I was PUMPED to read a book about witches and Salem and history and all that stuff!! But the writing in this book was not up to par. And UGHHH there was a love triangle that involved making out with a ghost. Just no.
3. MOST SURPRISING (IN A GOOD WAY OR A BAD WAY) BOOK YOU READ?
- The Light Fantastic by Sarah Combs- I hadn't heard a lot about it, and it started off a little boring, but HOLY CRAP I was shocked at how good it got.
- Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy- I definitely didn't think I would like a book about Math so much!
4. BOOK YOU "PUSHED" THE MOST PEOPLE TO READ (AND THEY DID)?
- With Malice by Eileen Cook- I'm ALWAYS looking for good YA Mysteries and Thrillers, and when I find one, I'll tell EVERYONE to read it. I pretty much made more than a few people read this this year.
5. BEST SERIES YOU STARTED IN 2016? BEST SEQUEL OF 2016? BEST SERIES ENDER OF 2016?
- Starters: Stalking Jack the Ripper (#1) by Kerri Maniscalco
- Get Even (Don't Get Mad #1) by Gretchen McNeil
- I didn't read very many series books at all this year. I failed to read both Winter and The Raven King-- 2 series enders that I really really wanted to get done in 2016. And I don't think I read a single series sequel!! That's very weird. Anyhow, I loved these 2 series starters and can't wait for more Audrey Rose & to get the 2nd Don't Get Mad book.
6. FAVORITE NEW AUTHOR YOU DISCOVERED IN 2016?
7. BEST BOOK FROM A GENRE YOU DON'T TYPICALLY READ/WAS OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE?
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco- I don't read a lot of Historical Fiction-- and I don't read a lot of Steampunk-- but I loved this book.
8. MOST ACTION PACKED/THRILLING/UNPUTDOWNABLE BOOK OF THE YEAR?
- Last Seen Leaving by Caleb Roehrig- Loved the mystery and HAD to know what happened to January!!
- Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis- SUPER unputdownable. Just could not look away!
9. BOOK YOU READ IN 2016 THAT YOU ARE MOST LIKELY TO RE-READ NEXT YEAR?
10. FAVORITE COVER OF A BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?
11. MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTER OF 2016?
- Everett Finch AKA Michael Finch from This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills- I loved the father/daughter convos in this book-- and I especially loved the fan-fiction rabbit hole he fell down. He was awesome!
12. MOST BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN BOOK READ IN 2016?
- The Light Fantastic by Sarah Combs
13. MOST THOUGHT-PROVOKING/ LIFE-CHANGING BOOK OF 2016?
- Asking For It by Louise O'Neill- This book was so honest and brought up so many feelings inside of me. I think it's a must read for everyone & worthy of any book club as there is SO much that can be discussed.
- Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick- All the characters in this book have issues to sort out, and I spent a LOT of time thinking about it.
14. BOOK YOU CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WAITED UNTIL 2016 TO FINALLY READ?
- Almost all the books I read this year were newer! I'm going with Get Even (Don't Get Mad #1) by Gretchen McNeill because I've been sitting on it since Spring 2014 and I really really liked it!!
15. FAVORITE PASSAGE/QUOTE FROM A BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?
- "Trevor Dunham talked quite a bit about his man part just before he drowned." ~The Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks
16. SHORTEST & LONGEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?
17. BOOK THAT SHOCKED YOU THE MOST(because of plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
- With Malice by Eileen Cook- I love when the ending of a mystery goes for it!!
- After the Woods by Kim Savage- I couldn't believe the real story behind the abduction!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (YOU WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP!)(OTP = one true pairing if you aren't familiar)
- Audrey Rose & Thomas from Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
19. FAVORITE NON-ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP OF THE YEAR
- Mark & Katie/Kate from You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour & David Levithan
- The friend group in This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills
20. FAVORITE BOOK YOU READ IN 2016 FROM AN AUTHOR YOU'VE READ PREVIOUSLY?
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer- I was SO happy that Heartless lived up to the hype and was just as good as The Lunar Chronicles series.
- Still a Work in Progress by Jo Knowles- I am so happy that I stuck with this author. Some of the first books I read by her weren't my fave, but the last 2 have been FABULOUS.
21. BEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2016 THAT YOU READ BASED SOLELY ON A RECOMMENDATION FROM SOMEBODY ELSE/ PEER PRESSURE:
- Wrecked by Maria Padian- Andi seems to always find and recommend books I'll love.
- Damage Done by Amanda Panitch- Rachel told me to try it and I'm so happy I did!
22. NEWEST FICTIONAL CRUSH FROM A BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?
- Sam from The Creeping by Alexandra Sirowy- Normally I wouldn't like a guy like Sam, but for reasons unknown I LOVED everything about him. He is that perfect geeky/cute/normal boy mix that hurts my heart.
23. BEST 2016 DEBUT YOU READ?
- Last Seen Leaving by Caleb Roehrig
- The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith
- After the Woods by Kim Savage
24. BEST WORLD BUILDING/ MOST VIVID SETTING YOU READ THIS YEAR?
- Scripted by Maya Rock- I loved the reading about the reality show world that Nettie and everyone she knows are living in. It was like the ultimate Truman Show.
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerry Maniscalco- Very cool late 1800's atmosphere in this book.
25. BOOK THAT PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE/ WAS THE MOST FUN TO READ?
- It's Not Me, It's You by Stephanie Kate Strohm- This was the CUTEST book. It was like the book version of a kitten.
- This Adventure Ends by Emma Mills- This book just made me friendship happy inside.
26. BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY OR NEARLY CRY IN 2016?
- The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith- This book hurt. It really, really hurt.
27. HIDDEN GEM OF THE YEAR?
- The Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks- I feel like I never hear about this book, but I wish I would!
28. BOOK THAT CRUSHED YOUR SOUL?
- Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis- Oh man, this book is tough. It's SO worth the pain though.
29. MOST UNIQUE BOOK YOU READ IN 2016?
- The Haters by Jesse Andrews- I feel like anything this author writes is going to have his unique humor in it-- and that alone makes it special.
30. BOOK THAT MADE YOU THE MOST MAD (DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT)?
- Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick- Nanette was SO frustrating. So, so, so frustrating. I loved the book, but that girl needed slapped.
- This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp- I should have loved this book. I'm a girl that's about those tough subject books. I felt like the tough subject in this book just wasn't handled right. The relationship that developed during a school shooting was insensitive, the characters all felt the same, and the villain was made to be the BIG BAD VILLAIN. So basically me = mad.
1. NEW FAVORITE BOOK BLOG YOU DISCOVERED IN 2016?
- Finding Wonderland- I mean, the header of this blog is a Gilmore Girls photo!?! What's not to love?? Also, BEAUTIFUL graphics and even videos!
- Loony Literate- I love this Aussie blog about books and writing and Bookstagraming and blogging and college.
- Molly's Book Nook- I'm not 100% when I found this blog, it could have been this year?? But yeah, I like it.
2. FAVORITE REVIEW YOU WROTE IN 2016?
- The Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks
3. BEST DISCUSSION/NON-REVIEW POST YOU HAD ON YOUR BLOG?
- I think all my Underrated Movies Posts were fun to share
- Trends In Writing That IRK Me created some fun discussion too.
4. BEST EVENT YOU PARTICIPATED IN (AUTHOR SIGNINGS, FESTIVALS, VIRTUAL EVENTS, MEMES)?
- Meeting Ann M. Martin & The Fierce Reads Book Tour
5. BEST MOMENT OF BOOKISH/BLOGGING LIFE IN 2016?
- I think it was meeting all the awesome people that I met at BEA in Chicago this year. I had so much fun-- and this might have been my first BEA where I actually felt like I was part of the group instead of just "there".
6. MOST CHALLENGING THING ABOUT BLOGGING OR YOUR READING LIFE THIS YEAR?
- Failing to read all the books I wanted to read this year (like The Raven King, Winter, and THESE books).
7. MOST POPULAR POST THIS YEAR ON YOUR BLOG (WHETHER IT BE BY COMMENTS OR VIEWS)?
- It was THIS GEM!! This is such a ME post, that it really makes me happy you guys liked it :)
8. POST YOU WISH GOT A LITTLE MORE LOVE?
- My THOUGHTS on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Post- I just wanted to hear what everyone else thought of that "book".
9. BEST BOOKISH DISCOVERY (BOOK RELATED SITES, BOOK STORES, ETC.)?
- Oh man, SO many bookish Etsy stores!! I think I'm going to do a roundup post on my faves.
- I'm probably WAY behind the times, but I just discovered Canva this year.
- This is also the year I found SO many cool Bookstagram accounts!
10. DID YOU COMPLETE ANY READING CHALLENGES OR GOALS THAT YOU HAD SET FOR YOURSELF AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR?
- I didn't really set goals this year (besides my annual Goodreads FAIL), but it's always my overall goal to get better at all things to do with this blog. Better at writing, communicating, networking, sharing, making new friends. I could have done better, but I'm cool with where I'm at right now :)
So that was my 2016 reading life!! Do we have any faves in common??